Priorities & Purposes
Priorities & Goals
- Student Access and Success
- Create, market, and implement educational programs to meet the needs of our district.
- Create opportunities for students to have access to higher education.
- Prepare students for their educational goals (i.e. adult and developmental education, financial aid, counseling, employability skills).
- Provide student support services to ensure student success.
- Create opportunities for lifelong learning.
- Teaching and Learning
- Ensure student learning and outcomes are achieved at all program levels (i.e. class, course, and program levels including general education outcomes).
- Ensure and increase student retention and success.
- Re-affirm a commitment which recognizes the need for diversity.
- Create opportunities for all within the College community to interact with understanding, appreciation and respect for others.
- Ensure quality of educational programs, learning environments and support services through continuous improvement.
- Community Alliances
- Expand partnerships with four-year colleges and universities.
- Work collaboratively with K-12 school districts.
- Develop programs in cooperation with neighboring institutions.
- Work with local industry and workforce partners to build relationships to strengthen the workforce.
- Operational Sustainability and Excellence
- Embed the use of data into the culture for decision-making.
- Develop and utilize an enrollment management plan to stabilize and guide the institution's enrollment.
- Establish and maintain effective technology in academic programs and support functions.
- Ensure the financial stability of the College.
- Continue to lead the way in technology.
- Maintain a competitive compensation program to enable the College to attract and retain a quality workforce.
- Maintain and refresh all college facilities.
- Commit to all feasible sustainability efforts.
- Insure compliance with accrediting bodies and governmental agencies.
In its efforts to be a premiere learning and teaching institution, Carl Sandburg College is dedicated to fulfilling the following major functions:
- Provide associate degree-level education consisting of liberal arts, sciences, and pre-professional fields designed to prepare students for transfer to baccalaureate-granting institutions;
- Provide business, technical, and professional education that offers associate degrees, certificates, courses, workshops, and seminars designed for career, entry-level employment, retraining, and/or upgrading of skills to meet current and emerging employment needs and trends;
- Provide courses and programs designed to assist academically underprepared students to be successful in their next level of education;
- Provide activities designed to meet the lifelong educational needs and interests of individuals throughout the district;
- Provide services designed to meet the needs of the student population including recruitment, admissions, registration, assessment, counseling, tutoring, career planning, academic advisement, financial aid, job placement, co-curricular activities, and inter-collegiate athletics;
- Provide programs and services designed to meet the customized continuing education and technical assistance needs of individuals, businesses, industries, and community organizations;
- Serve as a center for cultural and intellectual development.