Carl Sandburg College 2019-2024 Strategic Plan
A. Student Access and Success
- Advance equitable access, engagement, and success of all students.
- Provide institutional leadership that integrates inclusion in all aspects of the College.
- Champion engagement with external partners and stakeholders.
- Provide academic and co-curricular opportunities that facilitate inclusivity.
- Implement strategies as determined by the student’s voice.
- Build student support structures that respond to individual student's needs while maintaining quality.
- Create avenues in which current and potential students can provide the college input on their needs.
- Advance connections between students and college personnel.
- Increase the retention, persistence, and completion of an inclusive student body.
- Expand efforts to attract a diverse student population.
- Enable the student experience to flow seamlessly from recruitment through completion.
- Create learning opportunities through community partnerships.
- Expand efforts to provide financial support for students.
- Increase direct communication with students and employees at all locations.
- Embed ambassadorship into all college position responsibilities.
- Initiate avenues that provide the sharing and accessibility of resources, new initiatives, and best practices of all departments.
B. Teaching and Learning
- Ensure the quality of educational programs, learning environments, and support services through continuous improvements.
- Develop and cultivate industry-specific partnerships to expand the breadth of offerings at Carl Sandburg College.
- Establish an understanding of how stakeholders define quality.
- Cultivate a comprehensive understanding of student and community needs.
- Respond timely to district needs.
- Utilize partnerships to increase the variety of educational offerings throughout the district.
Implement an enhanced student experience that results in greater opportunities for employment.
- Adapt student pathways through accessibility, program flexibility, and course availability.
- Sustain a comprehensive understanding of the labor market’s needs.
- Expand efforts to provide transition services to employment for students.
- Increase flexibility of course delivery using technology.
- Create environments for students that nurture engagement.
C. Community Alliances
- Broaden dynamic connections with stakeholders: students, alumni, K-12 program, community members and business partners through targeted communication.
- Bolster education opportunities using off-site/partner locations throughout the district.
- Deliver consistent dual credit programs which provide students access to college services and support.
- Strengthen partnerships with four-year colleges and universities.
- Meet training needs of college district and region.
D. Operational Sustainability and Excellence
- Promote an environment of understanding between the college and stakeholders.
- Amplify institutional standards and practices to streamline internal and external communication.
- Provide targeted and timely communication.
- Expand information sharing practices.
- Establish communication methods that promote the free exchange of ideas from stakeholders.
- Attain an institutional culture of integrated problem-solving.
- Develop an avenue to identify and discuss cross-departmental problems/issues.
- Empower “problem-solving” teams to implement and assess continuous improvement efforts.
- Advance the use of data in the institutional culture for decision-making.
Strengthen human resource capital.
Administer a competitive compensation program that enables the College to attract and retain a quality workforce.
- Execute strategies focused on employee retention.
- Cultivate a commitment to inclusivity in hiring.
- Ensure professional development opportunities for college employees.
Assure the innovative use of resources.
- Maintain a sustainable budget that fully meets the College’s needs and responsibly uses the resources of the district.
- Obtain new grant funding and maintain ethical stewardship of grant money.
- Maintain and refresh high-quality facilities and grounds that support innovation, teaching, and learning.
Assure compliance with accrediting bodies and governmental agencies.